Characterized as a mutually-shared vision of the people of the Diocese of St. Petersburg, Courageously Living the Gospel identifies nine goals. They are mission-oriented to inspire in each heart a “constant desire to go forth” (Joy of the Gospel). Achieving these goals will help us to achieve our vision of Courageously Living the Gospel and also foster new paths of collaboration between parishes, schools, ministries and all of the faithful. The goals are related to three main areas: Serving the Poor, Accompanying Youth and Young Adults, and Sharing Our Faith.
Courageously Living the Gospel: What are its specific goals?
Overall, nine goals are set for the diocese. Additional parish goals will be set in the action plan being developed by the parish committee. The nine goals of the diocese are as follows:
1. Each deanery will launch a Catholic Impact Initiative that addresses one local community issue and mobilizes cross-parish creativity to establish desired outcomes. Initiate implementation by December 31, 2019.
2. The Diocese will establish 8 – 10 new locations of affordable housing facilities for families and/or singles managed by Catholic Charities throughout the Diocese by the end of 2021
3. One hundred percent of parishes will establish and/or enhance youth ministry opportunities by July 1, 2020.
4. In support of this initiative, the Diocese will hire three diocesan regional Associate Directors of Youth and Young Adult Ministry by July 1, 2019.
5. The diocese will establish a new Catholic elementary school (location to be determined) to open for the 2021-2022 school year.
6. We will increase student participation by 1000% (4,000 individuals) at established campus ministry communities, and create new Catholic student communities for all local colleges and universities in the Diocese by Easter of 2021.
7. The Diocese will partner with pastors and parishes for successful assessment, training and implementation of effective evangelization and family ministry strategies, including hospitality and intercultural competency by Pentecost 2019.
8. Every parish will equip parishioners as Missionary Disciples who are inspired to invite and accompany others by Pentecost 2020.
9. All parishes will enhance or establish family ministries to respond to the diverse needs of families by Pentecost 2020.
For more information about Courageously Living the Gospel, go to https://www.dosp.org/courageouslyliving/